06 July 2020

Back from the dead with a completion? Floral Stripe JSK Completion and Charity Sale

Banner image of the waist bow on the dress, text on top says Floral Stripe JSK Completion and Charity Sale

Oh boy, has it been awhile! Well I have been active elsewhere, but just not here. I thought I'd dust off the cobwebs and show up with my latest work!

So a little backstory on this particular piece. It's actually five years in the making! I started sewing this dress back in 2015, and then suddenly stopped working on it for a reason unknown to me now (it was so long ago, but I think I got annoyed with some element of the construction and then started working on other projects, thus abandoning it in a drawer.)

Originally I was making it for myself when I was much more heavily into these particular color schemes in lolita fashion. My style now has changed a lot, and when I wear classic styles now I lean more on the gothic side of things.

So that's why I decided to just finish off the dress and sell it. While selling it, I figured, why not help out some great causes in the process? I'll come back to the details on this at the end of the post, but first off, the completed JSK.

The Completed Piece


Light Brown Floral Stripe Dress completion photo collage with closeups of the lacing and ribbon details in red

The design is loosely based on that of Mary Magdalene's "Rose Basket" JSK. When I purchased this fabric many years ago (long time followers might remember a post I made ages ago with all the fabrics I bought at Shabby Fabrics, this was one of them) and when I saw it, first thing I wanted to do was make a pleated dress similar to that style.

Front and Back of the dress completed on a mannequin in front of a red curtain

I tried to make sure I didn't buy extra things to finish this. I attempted to finish this off with sewing supplies I had around the house. The only two things I had to purchase in addition was the ribbon for the waist belt, and a zipper for the side seam (the one I had on hand was too short.) Thankfully it just about matched the red ribbon I had on hand!

I'm happy I went with this rose red color for the ribbon elements. It really brings the whole thing to life. I used lace on the hem instead of mesh, but I think this would be pretty with a mesh hem like the original too.

The straps have an elastic loop so they are mildly adjustable. The button can also be moved if needed. Originally I wanted to do a buttonhole, but my machine was not cooperating to do it, so I ended up improvising. I think it's quite suitable though.

The ribbon bow on the neckline is a brooch which can be removed, along with the waist ties. Back is shirred at the center allowing for comfort and adjustability as usual. It would have been nice if the braid trim was also rose red, but I had already went with the gold.
scroll divider

Coordinates: One Dress, Three Ways


First Coordinate of the dress with a dark red cardigan layered on top and a gold crown on mannequin


Coordinate One: Royalty

So I wanted to do a more regal look to see if this dress would look nice sort of dressed up. The coordinate is missing some elements, like I would probably pair these with some really fancy lace tights for instance (perhaps imagine it for yourself.) A really fancy purse, perhaps in a dark brown would be rather nice. The reds don't exactly match, but the darker red is there in the print as the shadow element in the floral, so it works nicely. Also removed the waist ties (yep again, they are removable!) but I could totally see it replaced with a dark brown belt. For shoes I'd pair it with some really fancy dark brown or burgundy heels, oxfords, or victorian styled boots.

scroll divider


Second Coordinate, same dress with burgundy blouse, straw boater hat and matching flowers with ivory lace topped socks

Closeup details of second coordinate showing the fabric details, braided trim, and ribbons

Coordinate Two: Country Floral

Here I went with something a little more casual and prairie-like. I paired the JSK with this burgundy blouse from Axes Femme, along with a straw boater hat that I decorated with some clip in flowers that match. I also added simple ivory lace topped socks. For shoes, I figure some nice oxford flats would do nicely, or some dark brown victorian ankle boots. This would also be really cute with a straw basket bag as well, decorated with some of the same color elements.

scroll divider

Third Coordinate, same dress with an ivory ruffle neck blouse, ivory rectangular headdress, and over the knee socks with flower and bow lattice print


Closeup collage details of the same coordinate three

Coordinate Three: Iconic Classic

Here we have your quintessential classic lolita look circa around 2010. Simple but detailed blouse, classic rectangular headdress, and over-the-knee socks with a modest pattern. I could totally see this in Gothic and Lolita Bible at the height of the classic lolita obsession from around that time. I'd pair this with your classic ballerina flats with a small platform or low heel in burgundy, perhaps those cute ones that Innocent World used to carry (do they still make shoes? I have no idea.)

scroll divider

Sales Info and Charity Details

So as I mentioned in the beginning, I've decided not to keep this. It will be for sale! First I'm opening up the sale to my close friends, then to the greater community. Due to the current climate (the COVID-19 pandemic as well as the continued struggle in Racial Justice Reform and the Black Lives Matter movement) I wanted to donate a portion of the sales amount to three particular causes that specifically support BlPOC Trans Lives:






I will be selling the dress for $250 USD + Shipping and 30% of the proceeds will be donated among the three charities ($25 USD each.) Receipts of the donation will be posted on my social media for transparency and proof of donation.

Dress Measurements and Specs

Bust: 34"~38" (86cm~96cm)
High Waist: 26"~ 30" (66cm~76cm)
Total Length (from Shoulder to Lace Hem): 36" (92cm)
(Please inquire for additional measurements)

Dress will also come with a matching washable cloth mask with ribbon ties made of some of the scrap fabric. Please make sure to wash the mask by hand before using!

Again, I will be opening sales to people in my personal circle first, and then to the general public on July 8th, 2020. For further inquires on the dress availability, please DM me on Instagram @dixmacabre.

Thanks for your support! 


No comments:

Post a Comment